Health informatics professionals are leaders in their healthcare organizations and serve as a resource for uniting the staff in the implementation of organizational initiatives. Whether they work for a healthcare facility or for a company that develops and implements the electronic health record, they are sought out for their expertise in the field.
Employees across healthcare organizations need health informatics professionals when working on large-scale projects such as the adoption of an electronic health record system or in supporting other activities that require the management of health data and information.
Their competence in managing project teams, analyzing organizational processes, identifying the need for change, and implementing new initiatives are necessary skill sets in today’s healthcare delivery environment. They are critical components of the work performed by the health informatics professional.
To complete this task, you will read the attached “Electronic Record Adoption Project.”
Note: Responses to the task should be completed in an outline format, with some descriptions given if clarification is needed to demonstrate understanding.
Analyze the capabilities of the following decision support systems as they are used in the electronic health record:
• Computerized physician order entry
• Medication reconciliation
• Computerized prescribing
• Clinical decision support
1. Explain one benefit of one of the given decision support systems.
2. Explain one challenge of implementing the selected decision support system.
a. Explain how this challenge could be resolved.
B. Present how a needs assessment could be performed for the practice in the scenario.
1. Identify one clinical area needing assessment.
2. Outline the functional needs that staff members may have in the clinical area you have selected.
3. Outline one concern staff may have from the selected area.
4. Compare how the use of an electronic health record can affect privacy, security, and legal aspects in ways that differ from the use of the paper medical