A stomach B mouth C duodenum D pancreas. The correct answer is A—stomach. The answer A has been clearly marked in
pencil with a horizontal line (see below).
Changing an answer If you decide to change your answer, carefully erase your first answer and, using your pencil, fill in the answer you want. The answer below has
been changed to D.
SECTION A All questions in this section should be attempted. Answers should be given on the separate answer sheet provided.
1. The diagram below shows some protein filaments in muscle. Which protein is labelled with the letter P? P 4. The following statements refer
to respiration: 1 2 3 4 Carbon dioxide is released Occurs during aerobic
respiration The end product is pyruvic acid The end product is lactic acid
Which statements refer to glycolysis? A Actin B Adenine C Adenosine D Myosin
A B C D 1 and 4 2 and 3 1 and 3 2 and 4
2. The following cell components are involved in the synthesis and secretion of an enzyme. 1 Golgi apparatus
5. The diagram below represents a cross-section of a membrane magnified 2 million times.
2 Ribosome 3 Cytoplasm 4 Endoplasmic reticulum 16 mm
Which of the following identifies correctly the route an amino acid molecule would follow as an enzyme is synthesised and secreted? A
B C D 3 2 1 4 2 4 3 1 3 2 4 1 3 4 2 1
What is the actual width of the membrane? 1 nm = 1 × 10–6 mm A B D 1·6 nm
3·2 nm 16·0 nm
C 8·0 nm
3. How many adenine molecules are present in a DNA molecule of 4000 bases, if 20% of the base molecules are cytosine? A
B C 400 600 800
6. During the manufacture of protein in a cell, the synthesis of mRNA occurs in the A nucleus B ribosomes
C D Golgi body endoplasmic reticulum.
7. The following diagram shows some stages in the synthesis of part of a polypeptide. Tyrosine Amino acid tRNA
9. In the formation of gametes when does DNA replication occur? A B C D At the separation of
chromatids As homologous chromosomes pair Before the start of meiosis At the end of the first meiotic division
10. Identical twins can result from A B C a haploid egg fertilised by a single sperm a haploid egg fertilised by two identical
sperm a diploid egg fertilised by a single sperm fertilised by two
T A T
DNA Identify the triplet codes for the amino acid tyrosine. On mRNA A B C D ATA UAU AUA ATA On tRNA UAU AUA UAU TAT
D two haploid eggs identical sperm.
11. The diagram below represents a stage in the division of a cell.
8. Visking tubing is selectively permeable. In the experiment shown below, to demonstrate osmosis, the following results were obtained. Initial mass
of visking tubing + contents = 10·0 g Mass of visking tubing + contents after experiment = 8·2 g
Which line of the table identifies correctly the type of division and the number of chromosomes? Solution S Visking tubing A
Solution R B C D The results shown would be obtained when A B C D R is a 5% salt solution and S
is a 10% salt solution R is a 10% salt solution and S is a 5% salt solution R is a 10% salt solution and S is water R is a 5% salt solution and S is water. Type of
division mitosis mitosis meiosis meiosis Number of chromosomes 8 4 8 4
12. Phenylketonuria autosomal gene.