Founding a Nation/Securing the Republic
Answer one of these questions to write your essay :
1. What was the Articles of Confederation? Why was it scrapped and replaced by the U.S. Constitution? Why was the Confederation government not most suitable?
2. Who became the Father of the Constitution and why? Why was it needed? Discuss its major components and characteristics.
3. What were the purpose and meaning of the Bill of Rights? Why has it become an indispensable expression of American freedom?
4. What did “We the People” mean in the new nation for Indians and African-Americans? Why did the Constitution fail to abolish slavery?
5. Discuss the administration of George Washington. What were his admirable qualities?
6. Discuss the conflict between the Federalists and the Republicans (Anti-Federalists or Democratic-Republicans), which was represented by Alexander Hamilton and Thomas Jefferson. What were the major differences between the two political parties? How did the rivalry between Britain and France affect early American politics?
7. What difficulties did John Adams face during his presidency? Why did he fail to get reelected in 1800?
8. What is Jefferson’s legacy? What were the achievements and failures of his presidency?
9. Why did the Haitian Revolution become a threat to American institutions? How did it inspire Gabriel’s Rebellion?
10. What was the significance of the War of 1812?