The purpose of this research paper is to examine an issue that has or has not reached the Supreme Court that represents a conflict between rights. You are to identify issue, the rights involved, and the constitutional and political nature of the issue. There are plenty of academic sources from which you can draw out the issue, the current arguments, and analysis. You must use your own words and ideas to complete this assignment.
Select a civil liberty or civil rights issue from the brief list below or select one on your own and follow the instructions to complete a brief research paper.
• a) What is the background of the issue? b) Upon which liberty or right was infringed? c) What is the specific case that currently involves this issue?
• What Constitutional issue(s) is/are involved in this case? Which amendment(s) is/are involved?
• What are the arguments and opinions of the contending parties? Which party do you tend to agree with and why?
• Once resolved, what do you think will be the long lasting result of this case in civil liberties and/or civil rights for the American people?
Choose one of the following issues (or choose one of your own) to research:
1- Internet privacy v. “right to privacy”
2- Free speech v. hate art
3- Paparazzi v. “right to privacy”
4- Equal pay
5- Federal funds for private religious schools
6- Racial profiling
7- Internet Censorship
8- Student Rights and Freedom of Expression
9- Tracking of Cellphone/GPS Users v. “right to privacy”
10- Reproductive Freedom
• 3 – 4 pages, double-spaced, 12 point font, 1-inch margins, and type-written
• Correct grammar and mechanics; proof-read
• Words and ideas from your own mind, not someone else’s
• MLA in-text citations and Works Cited page (not included in the page count)